Next Election (Fall 2019)
Instructions for Nominations by Petition
for candidates for Vice President, Member at Large of the Council, Nominating Committee members, and Editorial Boards Committee members, are available in the September 2018 issue of the Notices of the AMS.
Deadline: February 24, 2019
The process starts in late August (when voting instructions are sent to each AMS member by e-mail or U.S. mail) and ends on November 1. The election process is carried out by Survey & Ballot Systems, a company that specializes in conducting elections for professional organizations. AMS members can vote online or by paper ballot. Information about the election and the candidates is also published each year in the September issue of the Notices of the AMS.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q: When are election information and ballots sent to members?
- A: Traditional paper ballots and the email regarding online voting instructions are sent in late August. Members should expect to receive paper ballots by the middle of September.
- Q: When does voting end?
- A: Voting ends on November 1.
- Q: How do I vote online?
- A: Members who receive a paper ballot are provided the URL of the voting website and unique login credentials: an AMS Member Code and an E-signature (election pass code). Members who receive voting instructions by email are provided the URL of the voting website and unique login credentials. Members who receive voting instructions by email also receive a unique embedded login link which allows them to go directly to their ballot on the voting website without having to type in their login credentials.
- Q: If I receive a paper ballot, can I still vote online?
- A: Yes. Your ballot is preprinted with the information you need to log in to the voting website. You need to enter your AMS Member Code and E-signature (election passcode)
- Q: If I have misplaced my voting email or my paper ballot, how can I vote?
- A: If you want to vote online, you will need your login credentials. If your current email address is on file with the AMS as of August 1, then you can go to the voting website and click on the "Need help logging in?" link. If your current email address is not on file with the AMS, or if you want a paper ballot, then a replacement paper ballot will be issued. Contact Survey & Ballot Systems by phone (952-974-2339) or email and they will send a replacement ballot to the mailing address the AMS gave them for you. To arrange to have a ballot mailed to a different address, you must contact the AMS Sales & Member Services Department by email or phone: 800-321-4267, extension 4033 (from the U.S. and Canada); or 401-455-4033 (worldwide).
- Q: What determines who receives a paper ballot and who receives email notification to vote online?
- A: AMS sent an email message in early May to all members with an email address on file, telling them their current voting preference, and giving them an opportunity to change it if they wish by late July. Members without an email address on file will be sent a paper ballot.
- Q: How can I find out my current voting preference and how can I change it?
- A: You can find out and change your preference for receiving voting instructions by contacting the AMS Member Services Department by email or phone: 800-321-4267, extension 4033 (from the U.S. or Canada) or 401-455-4033 (worldwide).
- Q: When will the results of the election be announced?
- A: The results of the election will be announced in late November on the AMS website.
- Q: Who do I contact if I have a question that is not answered here?
- A: Send email to the AMS Election Support Staff.