AMS Committee on Meetings and Conferences
As stated in its charge, the Committee shall take a long range viewof Society activities and structures in the area of meetings andconferences. COMC shall:
- advise to the Council and leadership of the Society and make recommendations concerning Society policy on meetings and conferences; COMC may recommend both modification of existing activities, as well as initiation of new activities and directions.
Because both the Secretariat and the Meetings and Conferences Department are charged with dealing with the specific details of meetings and conferences, COMC shall concentrate its efforts on matters of general policy, with a long range view. COMC does not have the authority to direct the Secretariat or the Meetings and Conferences Department to carry out specific actions.
- carry out annual reviews, so that at least every six years it has conducted reviews and appraisals of the principal Society activities in its area of responsibility, such as:
The results should be reported to the Executive Committee and to the Council.
- National Meetings: (scientific program)
- National Meetings: overall program including governance meetings
- Sectional Meetings
- Special Lecture Series, Special Projects and Short Course
- International Meetings
- Cosponsorship of meetings and conferences of other organizations; Conference Program
- receive reports pertaining to meetings and conferences policy from committees of the Society, and forward analysis and recommendations to the Council
- report regularly to the membership
- maintain an awareness of the views of the membership on issues concerning meetings and conferences; this may involve surveys, focus-group discussions, individual communications and committee correspondence.
- fulfill the charges to all policy committees included in Council resolutions as they may pertain to the area of responsibility of COMC
COMC will coordinate its activities with other policy committees in areas of mutual concern. COMC will foster coordination with other professional organizations and government agencies on cooperative and parallel activities. Though COMC is charged with attention to policy issues and with taking a long-range view towards matters affecting meetings and conferences, it may be appropriate for COMC to communicate informal suggestions to the Secretariat or the Meetings and Conferences Department for their consideration. Likewise, it may be appropriate for the Secretariat or the Meetings and Conferences Department to seek the informal advice of COMC about ongoing activities.
extract from full charge