Author Search Help Topics:
The author database
Enter search criteria
Activate the search
MR Author Profile page content
View all items by a selected author
View all items authored by or related to a selected author
Calculate a collaboration distance
Mathematics Genealogy Project
The MR Database contains a separate database of authors. The Authors search does not search among the name strings associated with papers and books in the MR Database, but rather it searches for the distinct author entities created by MR staff. These author entities are then tied to specific publications. Authors are understood in the sense of the Author/Related search field in the Publications search.
Initially the cursor is in the blank text input box below Author Name. Enter your search criteria. Following are some guidelines to keep in mind when entering a name in an MR Author Profile search:
- MathSciNet searches are not case-sensitive.
- Names should be input in the form:
- <last name>, <first name> <middle name(s)>|<initial(s)>
- A comma must be used to separate last and first names.
- The wildcard character is the asterisk (*) and may be used anywhere within the name string to broaden the search. However, if it is used at the beginning, it is ignored. In first names the wildcard is implicit.
Once the desired search string has been entered, click the Search button. If a unique author matches the search criteria, the Profile page of that author is returned. Otherwise, search results are displayed as a list of Profile names for individual authors. Name variations appear when the list is expanded. When the cursor passes over the icon to the left of a name on the list, a sample publication will appear. This publication is one which has many citations in MathSciNet reference lists or it is a relatively recent publication of the author. Clicking on a profile name in the list produces the MR Author Profile page of the selected author. Hovering the mouse pointer over a name displays a list of options. The first is the Author Profile page (the default option). This option may be followed by others, depending on the database content associated with the author: View Publications, Refine Search, Co-Authors, Collaboration Distance, Citations, Mathematics Genealogy Project. All of these options, and more, are presented on the Author Profile page.
The MR Author Profile contains the following elements:
- The profile name of the author, as it appears in the MR Author Database.
- Any personalization elements that have been added, as described below.
- The MR Author ID.
- The year of, and a link to, the earliest publication indexed in MathSciNet.
- The total number of authored publications indexed in MathSciNet.
- The total number of author/related publications indexed in MathSciNet.
- The total number of citations from reference lists contained in MathSciNet to articles or papers authored by the given author.
- View Publications: a link to all the authored publications indexed in MathSciNet.
- View Author/Related Publications: a link to all the author/related publications indexed in MathSciNet.
- View Reviews: a link to all MathSciNet reviews written by the author, if any.
- Refine Search: a link to a MathSciNet Publications Search with the uniquely identified author already filled in.
- Co-authors: a link to the complete list of co-authors of the selected author.
- Collaboration Distance: a link to a tool for measuring the co-author "distance" between authors in the MR Database.
- A link to the author’s page in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (MGP), if there is one.
- Citations: A link to the cited papers of the author, if there are any, sorted by number of citations.
- A co-author cloud, in which the Top 50 co-authors of the given author are given, with size varying by frequency. These names are individually linked to the jointly-authored papers.
- A publications cloud, in which the indexed publications of the author are highlighted using the Mathematics Subject Classification (MSC2010), with size varying by frequency. The class descriptors are linked to all the indexed publications with the chosen primary MSC class.
- A citations cloud, in which the indexed and cited publications of the author are highlighted using the Mathematics Subject Classification (MSC2010), with size varying by frequency. The class descriptors are linked to all the indexed and cited publications with the chosen primary MSC class.
- Some other fields may appear in selected author profiles.
To obtain a list of works associated with an author, select View Publications. The results are displayed as a headline list of bibliographic data. From this screen, full items can be selected for display.
This list includes all the items authored by a selected author, together with other items connected in a significant way to the author. The most common examples of this connection are items for which the selected author was an editor, a translator, or was the subject of a biography.
To combine an author's name with other search criteria, select Refine Search. The Publications search screen will be displayed with the author's name listed as the first search criteria. Enter the remaining search criteria and click the Search button.
All the authors in the MR Database who have co-authored at least one article or book with the selected author are returned by this link. The list of names has the same presentation and options as the result of an author search, as described under Activate the Search.
Selecting Collaboration Distance takes the user to a Collaboration Distance Search, with the selected author filled in as one of the two authors in the search.
Selecting Mathematics Genealogy Project leads to the page of the author at the site of the Mathematics Genealogy Project (MGP), if an an entry for the author exists on the MGP site. MGP is a service of the North Dakota State University Department of Mathematics, in association with the American Mathematical Society.
Selecting citations, if the link is available, produces a list of the cited papers of the author, in descending order of number of citations. These citations are those contained in the MathSciNet Citation Database.
Personalization of your MR Author Profile helps to further identify you, and it can create new channels of communication with people interested in your work. Your own MR Author Profile can be personalized in 4 ways:
- Full name in native script
- Contact email address
- Personal URL
Upload a picture
The Upload a picture link allows you to select a picture from your computer or device. The accepted formats are GIF, TIFF, JPG, and PNG.
Full name in native script
You may enter your name in any script encoded in UTF-8. A typical way to obtain your name encoded in UTF-8 is to copy it from a web page, such as your own personal page. Two examples are displayed in the text box prior to data entry: a name in Chinese characters and a name in Cyrillic characters.
Contact email address
You may enter your email address in the box provided.
You may enter the URL of your own personal page, or a page that is relevant to the work that you do.
SaveWhen you have entered all the personalization elements desired, click the blue Save button in the middle of the page. Click Cancel if you want to exit editing mode without saving. You may return at any time to add, modify, or delete personalization elements. Note that you may only personalize your own profile.
The URL that points to an MR Author Profile page is of the form
http://www.ams.org/mathscinet/MRAuthorID/<MR Author ID Number>
For example, the link to David Hilbert’s page is:MathSciNet. Everyone else is taken to the freely available short version of your MR Author Profile. Clicking the blue Share button at the top of the profile page is a convenient way of obtaining this URL.
The unique author identification underlying the Author Database is very reliable, but there can be misidentifications. Inconsistencies or errors in author data should be brought to the attention of the attention of Mathematical Reviews staff for correction, using MathSciNet Support.