| Hindustan Book Agency
2013; 1366 pp; hardcover
ISBN-13: 978-93-80250-57-1 List Price: US$165
Member Price: US$132
Order Code: HIN/65
Not yet published.
Expected publication date is December 27, 2013.
Volume 2: Differential Equations and Representation Theory, edited by Donald G. Babbitt, Ramesh Gangolli, and K. R. Parthasarathy; 648 pages
Volume 3: Physics, Analysis, and Reflections and Reviews, edited by Enrico G. Beltrametti, Gianni Cassinelli, Rita Fioresi, Anatoly N. Kochubei, and K. R. Parthasarathy; 718 pages
These two volumes constitute a selection of papers of V. S. Varadarajan. An earlier volume of Selected Papers was published by the American Mathematical Society and International Press in 1998.
The papers reproduced in these two volumes include not only the articles published since 1998 but also some important papers published earlier which were not included in the original Selected Papers for reasons of space and other limitations.
The current volumes contain the papers on fundamental questions of individual and families of meromorphic differential equations that are treated by a new group theoretic and functional approach; papers on representation theory of Lie groups; papers on foundations of physics, supersymmetry, and P-adic aspects of quantum physical theories; papers on analysis, especially oscillatory integrals, on semi-simple lie groups, their conjugacy classes, and their flag manifolds; and finally, several review articles, both personal and mathematical, on a number of the above topics.
The volumes are divided into sections by topics and in each section the editors have included a brief summary of the contents of the section, put the papers in their historical context and, in the process, raised interesting new problems.
A publication of Hindustan Book Agency; distributed within the Americas by the American Mathematical Society. Maximum discount of 20% for all commercial channels.
Graduate students and research mathematicians.
Table of Contents Contents for Volume 2: Differential Equations and Representation Theory
Local Reduction Theory and Moduli
- Donald G. Babbitt, Varadarajan and Differential Equations
- with Donald G. Babbitt, Formal reduction theory of meromorphic differential equations: A group theoretic view, Pacific J. Math. 109 (1983), 1-80
- with Donald G. Babbitt, Deformations of nilpotent matrices over rings and reduction of analytic families of meromorphic differential equations, Mem. Amer. Math. Soc. 55 (1985), 1-147
- with Donald G. Babbitt, Some remarks on the asymptotic existence theorem for meromorphic differential equations, J. Fac. Sci. Univ. Tokyo Sect. IA Math. 36 (1989), 247-262
- with Donald G. Babbitt, Local moduli for meromorphic differential equations, Astérisque No. 169-170, Société Mathématique de France, (1989), 1-217
- Letter from Pierre Deligne, Documents Mathematiques 5 (2007), 47-51
Contents for Volume 3: Physics/Analysis/Reviews and Reflections
- V. S Varadarajan and Representation Theory, by Ramesh Gangolli
- with Johan A. C. Kolk, On the transverse symbol of vectorial distributions and some applications to harmonic analysis, Indag. Math. 7 (1996), 67-96
- Harish-Chandra, his work, and its legacy, in The Mathematical Legacy of Harish-Chandra (Robert S. Doran and V. S. Varadarajan, Editors), Proc. Sympos. Pure Math. 68, Amer. Math. Soc. 2000, 1-36
- George Mackey and his work on representation theory and foundations of physics, in Group Representations, Ergodic Theory, and Mathematical Physics: A Tribute to George W. Mackey (Robert S. Doran, Calvin C. Moore, and Robert J. Zimmer, Editors), Contemp. Math. 449, Amer. Math. Soc., 2008, 417-446
- with Rahul N. Fernandez, Matrix Airy functions for compact Lie groups, Internat. J. Math. 20 (2009), 945-977
- with Jonathan Rogawski, Some comments on Weyl's complete reducibility theorem, Pacific J. Math. 260 (2012), 687-694
Foundations of Quantum Theory
- Enrico G. Beltrametti and Gianni Cassinelli, Varadarajan and the Department of Physics of the University of Genoa
- with P. Truini, Quantization of reductive Lie algebras: Construction and universality, Rev. Math. Phys. 5 (1993), 363-415
- Quantum theory and geometry: Sixty years after von Neumann, Internat. J. Theoret. Phys. 32 (1993), 1815-1834
- with Richard Arens, On the concept of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen states and their structure, J. Math. Phys. 41 (2000), 638-651
- with E. G. Beltrametti and S. Bugajski, Extensions of convexity models, J. Math. Phys. 41 (2000), 2500-2514
- Vector bundles and connections in physics and mathematics: Some historical remarks, in A Tribute to C. S. Seshadri (V. Laksmibai, V. Balaji, V. B. Mehta, K. R. Nagarajan, and K. Paranjpe, Editors), Hindustan Book Agency, 2003, 502-541
- V. S. Varadarajan and Supersymmetry by Rita Fioresi
- with R. D'Auria, S. Ferrara, and M. A. Lledó, Spinor algebras, J. Geom. Phys. 40 (2001), 101-129
- with C. Carmeli, G. Cassinelli, and A. Toigo, Unitary representations of super Lie groups and applications to the classification and multiplet structure of super particles, Comm. Math. Phys. 263 (2006), 217-258
- with C. Carmeli, G. Cassinelli, and A. Toigo, Erratum to: Unitary representations of super Lie groups and applications to the classification and multiplet structure of super particles, Comm. Math. Phys. 307 (2011), 565-566
- with R. Fioresi and M. A. Lledó, The Minkowski and conformal superspaces, J. Math. Phys. 48 (2007), 1-27
- Introduction, in Supersymmetry in Mathematics and Physics, Lecture Notes in Math. 2027, Springer, 2011, 1-15
- V. S. Varadarajan and \(p\)-Adic mathematical physics, by Anatoly N. Kochubei
- Non-archimedean models for space-time, Modern Phys. Lett. A16 (2001), 387-395
- with Trond Digernes and D. E. Weisbart, Schrödinger operators on local fields: Self-adjointness and path integral representations for propagators, Infin. Dimens. Anal. Quantum Probab. Relat. Top. 11 (2008), 495-512
- with Rahul N. Fernandez and David Weisbart, Airy functions over local fields, Lett. Math. Phys. 88 (2009), 187-206
- Multipliers for the symmetry groups of p-adic spacetime, p-Adic Numbers Ultrametric Anal. Appl. 1 (2009), 69-78
- with Jukka Virtanen, Structure, classification, and conformal symmetry, of elementary particles over non-Archimedean space-time, p-Adic Numbers Ultrametric Anal. Appl. 2 (2010), 157-174
- Some problems involving Airy functions, Commun. Stoch. Anal. 6 (2012), 65-68
Reviews and Reflections
- V. S. Varadarajan, The papers in Analysis/Probability
- with J. J. Duistermaat and J. A. C. Kolk, Functions, flows and oscillatory integrals on flag manifolds and conjugacy classes in real semisimple Lie groups, Compositio Math. 49 (1983), 309-398
- The method of stationary phase and applications to geometry and analysis on Lie groups, in Algebraic and Analytic Methods in Representation Theory, Perspect. Math. 17, Academic Press, 1997, 167-242
- Some remarks on the analytic proof of the prime number theorem, Nieuw. Arch. Wisk. (4) 16 (1998), 153-160
- Some remarks on the continuity of random fields on Lipschitz spaces, Expo. Math. 18 (2000), 177-196
- with David Weisbart, Convergence of quantum systems on grids, J. Math. Anal. Appl. 336 (2007), 608-624.
- Euler and his work on infinite series, Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 44 (2007), 515-539
- with Trond. Digernes, Notes on Euler's work on divergent factorial series and their associated continued fractions, Indian J. Pure Appl. Math. 41 (2010), 39-66
- Henry Abel Dye, Pacific J. Math. 137 (1989), iii-v
- Richard Friederich Arens (1919-2000), Pacific J. Math. 195 (2000), 259-260
- Harish-Chandra memorial talk, in The Mathematical Legacy of Harish-Chandra, Proc. Sympos. Pure Math. 68 (Robert S. Doran and V. S. Varadarajan, Editors), Amer. Math. Soc., 2000, 55-57
- Niels Vigand Pedersen (1949-1996), Notices Amer. Math. Soc. 45 (1998), 74-78
- Moshe Flato Remembered (1937-1998), in Reflections on Quanta, Symmetries, and Supersymmetries, Springer, 2011, 53-55
- Book Review: Andri Weil: The apprenticeship of a mathematician [Birkhuser, Basel, 1992]. Notices Amer. Math. Soc. 46 (1999), 448-456
- Some mathematical reminiscences, Special issue dedicated to Daniel W. Stroock and Srinivasa S. R. Varadhan on the occasion of their 60th birthday. Methods Appl. Anal. 9 (2002), no. 3, v-xviii
- Mackey, Harish-Chandra, and Representation theory, in Reflections on quanta, symmetries, and supersymmetries, Springer, 2011, 207-236