Travel Grant Program for ICM 2018
Funding for U.S. mathematicians attending ICM 2018 in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
The American Mathematical Society has funding from the National Science Foundation (NSF) to support travel by U.S. based mathematicians to the 2018 International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM 2018), August 1-9, 2018, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The Society is administering the selection, award, and reimbursement process.
The awards will cover up to $3,300 in allowable travel expenses.
- This program is open to mathematicians who have a full-time affiliation with an institution in the United States at the time of the Congress. Applications from individuals at all career stages and in all mathematical areas are welcome. Early-career mathematicians, women, and underrepresented minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
- It is the intent of this program to fund those who would not be able to participate in the Congress without this grant; specifically, it is not intended to be used by participants with existing NSF or other travel support. Early career mathematicians (those who will or who have received a doctorate no earlier than November 1, 2011) will receive priority in funding.
- AMS Employees are not eligible.
- Applications will be submitted electronically and reviewed by a panel of mathematical scientists. Award announcements should not be anticipated before mid-February, 2018.
- Early career mathematicians will be required to submit one letter of recommendation from a senior professional mathematician (please note that for any program, fellowship, prize or award that has a maximum period of eligibility after receipt of the doctoral degree, the selection committee may use discretion in making exceptions to the limit on eligibility for candidates whose careers have been interrupted for reasons such as family or health).
- Application period has closed.
Conditions on Funding
- Mathematicians accepting these grants for partial support of the travel to ICM 2018 may not supplement them with any other NSF funds.
The deadline for applications has passed - no new applications are being accepted.
- For questions about the travel grant program, email Kim Kuda in the Professional Programs Department, or contact by telephone at 800-321-4267, ext. 4096, or 401-455-4096.
- All information currently available about the ICM 2018 program, organization, and registration procedure is located on the ICM 2018 website.