Instructions for submitting your petition for an AMS Student Chapter
Get started by submitting the following documents to Jenny Phothisarath.
- Completed Petition form
- Rules of Procedure
- Budget for academic year.
Establishing a New Chapter
In order to establish an AMS Student Chapter, the organizers must submit a Petition form to the AMS Board of Trustees for approval. Below is a list of the information required in the petition. If the petition is approved, a letter of approval will be sent to the faculty adviser and to the Chapter president. Please note that the approval process is approximately 8-10 weeks long. For that reason, the AMS suggests petitions for this academic year be submitted by October 31st.
The petition must include the following information:
- Sponsoring Organization (generally a college or university)
- Faculty Advisor (who is a member of the AMS) with contact information
- All students who will be charter members of the Student Chapter, including at least 5 students who are AMS members, with contact information. (Note: Institutional Members of the AMS may nominate all graduate students to become AMS members for free.)
- Proposed officers of the Student Chapter (who are members of the AMS)
- Rules of Procedure for the proposed Student Chapter (see below)
- Annual budget for the first year of the proposed Student Chapter (see below)
Rules of Procedure
The organizers should describe the rules that will govern the proposed Student Chapter. Click here for a template that can be adapted to fit the specific needs of the Chapter. Alternatively, organizers may use a template that their sponsoring institution provides.
Some of the items that should be covered are:
- Institutions from which members will be recruited
- Membership eligibility
- Benefits of membership
- Officers and terms of office
- Executive and other committees (if any)
- Chapter funds
- Dues (if any)
The organizing group should develop a budget for the Student Chapter during its initial year. The organizing group should discuss with the appropriate department how it plans to handle Chapter funds. The group is encouraged to investigate additional sources of funding from departments and the sponsoring institution.
Ongoing Activities and Responsibilities:
- Annual Activities Report: The Student Chapter will provide the AMS a report of its activities each year. This report is due by June 30 each year.
- Annual Treasurer’s Report: The Student Chapter will provide the AMS with a report of its revenue and expenditures each year.
- Request for Funding: The AMS provides funding for Chapter activities and to help Chapters generate interest in mathematics among students on campus. Student Chapters with at least five AMS members may request up to $500 per academic year from the AMS. Large chapters with extensive activities may request up to $500 of additional supplemental funding. The AMS will provide a Request for Funding Form that Student Chapters should fill out and submit electronically. Except in the initial year, requests for funding should be submitted on or before September 30 of year n for the academic year n to n+1.
For further information, contact Jenny Phothisarath.
If necessary, mail to:
American Mathematical Society
201 Charles Street
Providence RI 02904