2017 AMS Employment Center
Information for Employers
The job application site Mathjobs.org now also serves as the ad placement site for the Employment Center. All fees are to be paid at the Mathjobs.org ad website; fees are no longer paid through the JMM registration form.
All employers planning to enter the Employment Center even just for one interview must present a 2017 Joint Meetings Registration badge or they will be denied admittance.
There is no admission outside of the posted open hours. Hours of operation are as follows:
- Wednesday, January 4, 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Thursday, January 5, 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Friday, January 6, 8:00 am - 5:30 pm
- Saturday, January 7, 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Meeting badges are obtained by registering for the Joint Mathematics Meetings. Individual registration opens in September 2016 for the Atlanta JMM. See the JMM website.
Employers: Choose one of these tables:
- One or two interviewers per table in the "Quiet Area" (US$350; additional table $195);
- Three to six interviewers per table in the "Committee Table" area (US$440; additional table $215)
- One-Day table, seats three interviewers, available for purchase beginning Dec. 21, 2016 - January 6, 2017 (US$195)
- Free electricity is provided to every table with the purchase of the table.
Any representatives of the institution can sit at the table together or work in shifts (however, each table type has a limit for the number of interviewers that can be present at the same time). Employment Center fees should be paid only for each table required, not for each person. When registering for a table, a job listing is included in the package, and may be used, but is not required. Those who wish to rent a table and NOT utilize any job listing may register according to the instructions below, but not post a job advertisement.
One-Day-Tables allow for onsite interviewing for one day without placing an ad. These tables may only be purchased December 21, 2016 through January 6, 2017. These tables can accommodate up to three interviewers. The registration is first come first served due to a limited number available.
Registration will open September, 2016. Please follow registration steps below. Use of the Mathjobs.org website is through password-accessible accounts, one per employing department.
Registering for a table
- IF YOUR DEPARTMENT ALREADY HAS A MATHJOBS.ORG ACCOUNT, CURRENT OR LAPSED:
- Log into your account at www.mathjobs.org. If the account has lapsed, follow links to the renewal screen. If the account is current, log in and look for the tiny "EC" logo in the top menu bar near the top of your screen. This brings you to the Employment Center page. Then use the "Buy a Table" link to make your purchase.
- IF YOUR DEPARTMENT DOES NOT HAVE A MATHJOBS.ORG ACCOUNT:
- On Mathjobs.org, select "New Employer" from the menu bar. Choose an EC Table type and complete the rest of the form. Your account will be approved in one to two days and you will receive a notification of approval. Once approved, you are ready to log back in to post your job and begin communicating with job candidates. PLEASE NOTE: your Employment Center ad is displayed to EC applicants for information only and carries no job application functions -- it will disappear after January 31, 2016. However if you desire to have applicants make official job applications for your job via Mathjobs, please log back in, go to the Config screen, use the "Renew" link at the top and request, and pay for, a regular full-service 12-month Mathjobs.org account.
- Please note that only employing institutions may purchase an Employment Center table. They are not sold through ad agencies.
For employers who only desire a table, and do not plan to post a job or link the table to any existing job ad, you need to continue reading only if you would like to use the scheduling utility in the system. Once your table is purchased, it will be waiting for you in Seattle. Every employer should expect an email verification that their table has been purchased to come from Pamela Morin, AMS staff, in addition to any automated email that may arrive as part of the Mathjobs.org system.
Once the EC table is purchased using the instructions above, new employers will want to post a job using the "New Job" link under "Admin" on the menu bar. Existing employers may attach the EC table to any current job(s). The next step is to click on the "EC" link in the top menu bar to set up the EC account you purchased. You will see your Overview box (see below) and current jobs. Check mark each job that you will not be interviewing for at any of your EC tables. Then submit the screen. If you do NOT have a full-service Mathjobs.org account, make it clear in your ad how the applicants should apply.
The "Overview" box on your EC screen is NOT for your job ad. It should be used to point out any helpful information that you would like applicants to see, such as whether your search is now closed, or links to information about your institution.
The process of setting up and administering appointments consists of a facilitated email exchange between the employer and applicant. Please note that applicants are no longer able to REQUEST AN INTERVIEW with you directly through the system. If you would like to see requests, mention that in your ad and give an email address.
- Using the "click here to see the list of applicants" link on your EC page, click on an applicant name from the list.
- On the screen that comes up, the unavailable (busy) times show. Clicking on the applicant's email address will bring up the quick email invitation screen. Be careful to write the day, beginning and ending times in a consistent manner (Day - time from - time to) so that later, the list will show chronologically on your EC schedule .
- Once you send such an invitation you may expect a reply in regular email to the email address you registered for your own login. A list of such requested appointments will be accessible on your EC page.
- Once an appointment is confirmed via email, please return to the EC screen and click on the "confirm/edit" link next to that appointment which allows you to mark it now as "confirmed". Or, if you and the applicant agreed on a different time in your email exchanges, edit the time field to reflect that, mark "confirmed", and submit. The time field and the "confirmed" indication will show on your EC screen, and on the applicant's.
- If you do not click "confirmed", the appointment will not be displayed on the applicant's screen, and the time will show as available to others.
Employers will be registered when they have completed the following steps:
Select an EC Table package at www.mathjobs.org and pay appropriate fees on the same website.
Optionally, upload an ad, or link the EC table to a current Mathjobs.org ad.
Register each interviewer as an attendee at the Joint Mathematics Meetings
If you have any questions about Employment Center Registration, please contact Pamela Morin at email@example.com.
Questions about AMS employment services should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org